This Country Fried Squash recipe is one of our favorite comfort foods and cherished, staple recipe in our kitchen. When squash is in season or anytime we can find the Lebanese Squash in the produce department you will find us in the kitchen making this recipe. Having it as a snack or as a side dish, it just doesn’t matter. We simply love this Country Fried Squash recipe that we can appreciate and enjoy all season long.
The key to perfect this recipe is to keep all of the slices the same thickness. It will guarantee that each slice will be cooked evenly and through. By using a non-stick fry pan you will use less oil for each round which will help to cut back on the extra calories. Once they are golden brown on each side, you can remove them from your pan and let them rest for a few minutes and cool down. Then they are ready to indulge!
2 Lebanese Squash, small
1 cup Flour, all-purpose, organic
5 tbsp. Sunflower Oil
1 tsp. Onion Powder
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper
1 tsp. Salt and Ground Black Pepper
1. Peel and slice the squash on the diagonal about 1/4 inch thick.
2. Mix all spices together.
3. In a separate bowl add half of the seasoning mix to the eggs, then mix well.
4. Add the other half of the seasoning mixture to a separate bowl with flour, then mix.
5. Heat a non-stick fry pan with 1 tbsp. of sunflower oil on medium heat.
6. Dip each squash slice into the egg mixture, then coat with flour, and re-dip the slice in the egg mixture again.
7. Fry each squash slice until golden brown on each side.
Note: Keep adding 1 tbsp. of sunflower oil at the time to your fry pan as needed.